Saturday, December 13, 2008

Theory of the unscripted swim






Ride'em cowboy Stan









Stan's kayak has after burners?


Jim Price is one of the best kayakers in Newfoundland and Jim says "there are 2 kinds of paddlers: swimmers and those who are going to be swimmers". Before Stan and myself put in today at St. Phillips (again!) I was in the category of "going to be swimmer". Now, I've joined the ranks of the swimmers.

It was blowing at 55 kms/hr with wind gusts of 70. It wasn't ideal but with air temps on December 13 at 15 degrees C, Stan seconded the motion of carpe diem - sieze the day. The wind was very brisk and the gusts threatened to rip the paddle out of my hands.

Then, there was a picture op of Stan. I have my camera attached to the paddle but it means presenting the whole paddle to the wind when taking a picture. I turned broadside to the wind, raised the paddle to snap the picture, a gust of wind caught both paddle blades and over I went. I made one attempt to roll unsuccessfully and bailed. No panic, we've practiced assisted rescues and before long I was back in the boat. I decided not to pump the boat out so I paddled into the beach with the cockpit full of water, 50 kms wind and 1 metre wind waves. A good exercise in balance control.

We hung around for about an hour after and I had to do one roll before calling it a day. I had to reassure myself because I was disappointed that my roll failed just when I needed it.

Anyway, I learned something today - exercise caution taking pictures in challenging conditions and a friend in need is a friend indeed. Thanks Stan!

Tony :-)

2 comments:

Stan Mac Kenzie said...

Always a pleasure and always a blast Tony. I know what it is like to be untimely cast into the dunk. A bit refreshen' ain't it! I am sure there'll be lots more for us. Otherwise we'd just probably be doing everything right all the time! ;-)

Stan

Tony said...

Its hard to practice accidental dunks because they just never match the real thing. I mean a planned roll is hardly an accident. But going to work on it more next year. Water temp is still 6 so its not that bad really!

Tony :-)