Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Theory of the first Christmas


Ornaments from the first Christmas in Canada

In 1953 my parents came to Canada from the Netherlands. I was 1 year old and while I don't remember that first Christmas, I have a picture of myself and my next born sister sitting by a very small tree. That little tree had the round ornaments on the left hanging on it. They look a little knarled and they are after 55 years of use.

This is the first Christmas for me where neither parent is alive as Dad passed away in October. Its a milestone. But its not a melancholy Christmas, life goes on.

This evening my children, my wife and I decorated the tree and hung the heirloom ornaments on the tree. I am thankful for another Christmas where we're all still able to be together. It won't last forever. As I hung the small old ornaments on the tree I was reminded again that its the small things I have to be thankful for. Family, friends, a sunset, snow that sparkles in the sunshine....

So, that's my wish for everyone. Have a Merry Christmas filled with the small things that mean the most. And to all a good night!

Tony :-)

No comments: